Facebook Teachers pay Teachers Email Pinterest BlogLovin Instagram Image Map

Sunday, August 10, 2014

Tips and Tools for Back-to-School

I am so excited to join my PA blogger buddies in hosting Tips and Tools for Back-to-School. 


Where did the summer go?!  Some of us have been back already!  Others of us will begin very soon!  If you're like me, you might be stressing a bit.  So much prepping to do to get a primary classroom ready!  To help you with your back to school preparations, we each have a tip to share and a tool for you to use when you return to your classroom.

Establish your classroom management system right away! 

I have been teaching for over a decade now and over the years classroom management had always been something that I wanted to keep improving on!  Last year, I decided that I needed to go in a whole new direction.  I always did a stoplight approach, but I was getting nowhere as the same old kids were always moving their names.  Instead of catching kids doing the wrong thing, I decided to do the opposite.  I decided to catch them doing the RIGHT thing and rewarding them for their positive behavior :).

Since my students always tend to do best when there is a little bit of friendly competition, I decided to cluster desks together into pods and assign each group a color.  Groups work together to earn points for positive behavior.  Since I started this (mid-year last year), transition times have never been so good!  Can you say... less talking ;)!

Group Signs

My FREEBIE tool for you are the signs I use to label each pod of desks.  I label each group with a color.  Groups are usually 4-5 students large.  Depending on the size of your class, you may need to use all the colors provided or just some.

This is an example of a sign hung up in my classroom.  The pod of desks are not shown, but are below the sign.


To snag this FREEBIE, click on the link below.  Feel free to leave me some sweet feedback if you downloaded it.  I'd love to know who you are :)!





If your interested in learning more about my classroom management system, click on the link below!  This download includes a detailed description of the system, a place/way to record points earned, and also a variety of reward coupons for students to choose from!



Thank you for stopping by my blog today!  I hope that you enjoy the FREEBIE!  If you would like to be the first to know about new posts, giveaways, and blog hops, follow me on Bloglovin' by clicking the image below



 Don't stop reading here!  We have more tips and tools for you.  

Just follow the link to visit my blogging buddy Angie at Rulin' the Roost. 
She's one of the top 3 sellers in PA so you know she must have something awesome to share with you!



Have fun hopping!,

3 comments:

  1. Catherine, your blog design is CUTE! Mine was a freebie designed by the same person. I am a big believer in staring classroom management immediately as well. Love the freebie too! I grew up in Hazleton, so I know Bloomsburg well! Fair time soon! Have a great start to the year!
    -Jen
    That First Grade Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks fro sharing a great tip. I love the color signs for table groups. :)
    Wendy
    Read With Me ABC

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't agree more that we should catch students behaving appropriately instead of inappropriately! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete