Facebook Teachers pay Teachers Email Pinterest BlogLovin Instagram Image Map

Sunday, March 16, 2014

I love Student Teachers! Gift Ideas!

I live in a small college town in PA.  Every year the college seeks placements for hundreds of student teachers.  Every year I sign up for one for the spring and I am never disappointed!  If you've ever experienced a student teacher before, you may know that some experiences with them can be harder than others, but in the end it's such a rewarding experience for both involved!  Not only do they gain valuable learning experience that they can't get from a college classroom,but I always learn new ways to go about teaching a concept that I never thought of before!  As the saying goes, two head are better than one!

We'll, unfortunately I had to say goodbye to my student teacher this past Friday :(.  She had to move on to her second placement.  There were LOTS of tears from her, me, and my class of 24!  And when I mean tears, I mean TEARS- UGLY TEARS! lol.  I'd post a picture of my student teacher crying her eyes out to the class, but I will save her the embarrassment ;).  Instead I want to post some pics of gifts that my class got for her.  I always struggle what the best gifts to give are.  One of the gifts I had the students make was a book on teaching advice for her.  I didn't take a picture of that, but I got the idea on TpT-- It's an easy find!  The other gifts my class got for her came collaboratively from the other three teachers in my 2nd grade wing who had student teachers, as well!  If you are looking for gift ideas for your student teacher, perhaps you may want to give one of these a try!:

This first picture is of a mousepad.  A very crafty mom from my class came up with this idea!  My student teacher participated in my school's annual Donkey Basketball game- what fun!  This mom was there and captured a great photo of her!  She then made it into a mousepad that the kids signed!  Now she can use it in her future classroom- how cool!




The next gift all the students signed, too!  I purchased a t-shirt of the school I work in.  On the backside, I wrote "#1 Student Teacher!" and the kids signed around it.  I'm not artsy, but I thought it was a cute idea that I got from a fellow teacher!



I always celebrate the last day with my student teacher by having an ice cream party- I love my sweets ;)!  I supply the ice cream, bowls, and spoons.  I then ask the students to bring in a topping of their choice.   I did do the ice cream party, but instead of asking them to bring in toppings, I decide to go in a different direction.  This time I decided to ask them to bring in an item related to teaching to add to a basket for her.  I gave them ideas such as sticky notes, pens, stickers, markers, etc.  Well let me tell you, my student teacher got A LOT!  My students were SO GENEROUS!  Most brought in more than one thing.  In fact, she got so much that I couldn't fit it all in the basket!  And let's just say, I was a bit jealous of some of the things she got! lol.  I will be doing this again for my next student teacher!! 



I hope you found some useful gift ideas for your next student teacher!  Or, if you're debating whether or not you want one, that I have convinced you! :)  Please comment below if you have any neat student teacher gift ideas- I'd LOVE to hear it! 

Until next time!,
 

11 comments:

  1. So glad you wrote this! I loved all the gifts the kids got me!! I was so overwhelmed with how much I received in that basket. I think I have enough Post-its that will last me a lifetime. Also, the t-shirt and mouse pad just made my day! Any teachers out there that want to make their student teachers bawl their eyes out before leaving, these gift ideas are perfect! :)

    P.S. Thanks for not posting that embarrassing photo! lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of having students bring in an item for the gift basket! I've been searching for ideas for the student teacher I will be getting soon and I came across your blog! I recognize you from the TpT forums!

    Tiffany
    KTeacherTiff

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recognize you, too! I'm actually a follower of yours on TpT! You have cute stuff! ... I miss my student teacher- wish I was getting another one soon, too!! Thanks for stopping by :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! I will definitely being doing all of these gift ideas again with my next one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing these ideas! I'm hoping to have a student teacher next school year. This would be a great way to show my appreciation for her or him!

    Jasmine
    Buzzing With Mrs. McClain

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love having them! I hope you get one next year! Thanks for stopping by :).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love these ideas! Sharing with colleagues who are saying goodbye to their student teachers next week!

    Tara
    The Math Maniac

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just came across this post and thought about my student teaching this past fall. I received a personal letter of recommendation from each one of my students and it was laminated and bound in a book! Talk about a UGLY TEARS, I couldn't even read them aloud! Just a thought for any future student teachers you have! I'm sure any future teachers you have will love it, I know I absolutely appreciated it and was so surprised by the sweet gesture.

    ReplyDelete
  9. gourmet food baskets From Gift Baskets to Recipes and BBQ to Bread and Butter Pickles. We have Basket Ideas for Christmas or any occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Christmas Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed browsing your blog posts. After all I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again soon!

    ReplyDelete